How do I change ownership of a domain name?
When a business sells to a new owner, the domain name and website are often part of the transaction. The existing and new business owners may find the following information handy to know:
.au domain name (eg .com.au, .net.au, .org.au etc)
- An offical Registrant Name Change is required. This transfers the ownership of a domain name ending in .au from one party to another.
- The new owner will need to provide the domain registrar or web developer their full name, mailing address, phone number, business name with corresponding ABN, company structure (eg sole trader, company)
- There will be an administration fee charged by the domain name provider and this will be quoted at the time of request, in most cases this will be due for payment before the application is started
- The process will also be treated as a brand new re-registration of the domain name, giving a new renewal date
- Once the domain manager applies for the transfer, an email will be sent to domain owner to approve the transfer - timing of transfer will depend on how fast the existing owner approves this request
- Once the domain name transfer has been approved by the Registrar, your new domain name certificate will be available usually within 24 hours of approval
gTLD domain (generic Top Level Domain) (eg .com, .net., .org etc)
- There are no strict ownership rules for gTLD's
- The new owner will need to provide the domain registrar or web developer with their full name, mailing address, phone number and business number (no business number or company structure is required)
- A small admin fee may apply, and would be quoted at the time of request
- The contact details will be updated and a new domain name certificate will be available usually within 24 hours of name change
Was this article helpful? We’d love to hear your feedback below
Copyright Eva Pettifor, Darwin Web Design. Please seek my permission prior to reproducing this article in any way but feel free to link directly to this page if you wish to use this content - thanks!